High-performing organizations of all kinds, from sports to military to corporate, are racing to build their human performance analytics team to help them make data-informed decisions, better serve their customers, and give them a competitive advantage.
Technology like Smartabase is only one piece of the equation when building a data and analytics team. It may sound crazy, but in many ways, the technology component is the simpler piece to implement and manage. The people, processes, and data are often the more complex and difficult pieces to build, retain, and evolve over time. But without those pieces, any technology is destined to fail.
That’s why we created this guide: Building Your Human Performance Analytics Team.
In our work with hundreds of elite human performance organizations across many industries, we’ve seen the full spectrum of teams: well-funded groups with deep experience, those with strong leadership and vision, scrappy teams making an impact with limited resources, and dysfunctional groups that can’t get out of their own way.
In the guide, we’ve collected the wisdom of our internal team, clients, and partners to provide you with some best practices for building your human performance analytics team. While your organization’s recipe for success is unique, we believe you’ll find valuable tips in this guide to help you achieve your goals faster or avoid some common pitfalls.
For Human Performance Leaders, Practitioners, and Data Professionals
This guide aims to help human performance leaders build and evolve their analytics teams. You’re in the right place if…
- You lead a human performance team and are considering building a dedicated HP analytics group.
- You are looking to expand your existing analytics team’s capabilities.
- As a team-of-one (the only part- or full-time person focused on data), you want guidance on evolving into a full-fledged team.
- You’re a data-savvy performance practitioner (e.g. Athletic Trainer, S&C Coach, etc.) who sees the need to build a dedicated analytics team.
Contents: Building Your Human Performance Analytics Team
This is the first comprehensive resource specifically for human performance leaders in sports and military environments looking to build and evolve your analytics team. In the guide, you’ll find tips and best practices along with practical templates, tools, and examples.
More specifically, the chapters include:
- Chapter 1: Creating a Data-Informed Culture
- Chapter 2: Understanding Your Customers
- Chapter 3: Designing Your Human Performance Analytics Team
- Core Purpose & Service Philosophy
- Team Structure
- Roles & Responsibilities
- How Big Should Your Team Be
- Who to Hire First
- Partnering with Outside Organizations
- Chapter 4: Staffing Your Team
- Where to Recruit
- Tips for Interviewing
- Retaining & Developing Your Team
- Additional Resources
- Links to articles, books, examples, templates, and on-line tools
After you’ve read this guide, if you feel we’ve missed anything or gotten something wrong, we welcome your feedback. Through candid conversations, we can help our industry as a whole deliver on the promise of human performance optimization.